Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rising above worry, how does God fit in this situation

Practically every day at the moment is filled with questions, what does he need, am I understanding enough, is he going to talk today, how can I encourage him to talk, is he going to feel comfortable with family or friends at the shopping centre at a restuarant, at school. Without carefull attention I can be consumed with worry. I read something recently that gave me a little focus so I thought I would share it with you.

"We all worry from time to time, but wise people have learned to avoid over anxiety by following these guidelines:
  1. Define the situation clearly. What exactly is it your'e worrying about? Be specific. Often when we take the time to clarify a problem, a way to solve it will present itself.
  2. Face the worst that can happen. Would you lose your job? Your relationship? Your investment? In most cases even if the worst did happen, chances are it wouldn't ruin you. It may be inconvienent or painful, but does it really warrant all the anxiety you are giving it?
  3. Resolves to accept the outcome, whatever it is. Most of the stress of worry comes from denial, from not being willing to accept whatever happens, you'll find worry loses its power over you.
  4. Work to improve the situation. Renowned neurologist James H Austin said 'Chance favours those in motion'. Do all you can to ensure the best possible outcome, and after you have done everything... stand (Ephesians 6:13) Stand on God's promise
  5. Give the problem to God. He's the controller of all thing. The Psalmist said, 'Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. (Psalm 9:10) Remember nothing can happen to you today, or any other day, that God is not aware of, in control of, and able to bring you through. "
Taken from a devotional called Word for today, October 13,2010

Of all the things I am anxious about, instead of worrying about the what if, I need to ask myself would it really be that bad, what could really happen. What am I living in denial about? What should I accept the reality of, the outcome that I am not accepting. Secondly what is helpfull for me to think, is to do what I am able to do and then leave the impossible up to someone who is capable of dealing with the impossible, God. Whether or not you believe in God 1-4 are still applicable for all those dealing with worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment