Monday, November 1, 2010

When you don't think anything is happening.....

When you are a parent in the middle of trying to help your son deal with problems he is dealing with it is hard to see the progress unless you take a step back. But as I have discovered recently there is progress small significant steps that if you don't take the time to observe you miss it.

So in the interest of observation these are the things we have noticed recently that has been great.

  • First of all Josiah spoke in front of my sister Lucy. So far my son is four and she has not really heard him speak full sentences. On this occasion he spoke a full sentence and a good one at that in front of Lucy.
  • He has also spoke in front of other people that aren't in his comfortable circle. Usually when myself or Scott is present but it still is progress.
  • A significant step at school is that Josiah has felt comfortable enough to respond to the teachers with a simple nod when asked a simple question such as if he wants fruit or wants to ride on a bike.
  • Josiah is now able to call out for me in the shops, and has been able to hand over money or items when buying something for himself.
  • He now shows facial expressions when spoken to smiling, frowing and so on. In the past when spoken to he would look back with a blank facial expression showing no emotion.
  • In the after school sessions Josiah is also feeling more and more comfortable and is not needing to have as much support to speak in front of the teacher. This afternoon I noticed that instead of having to ask the question again, which he will answer me, he answered the teacher's question straight away.

Perspective is a powerfull thing. I wish I had more observation skills to take in the progress that is being made so I don't feel as discouraged at times, and to notice how much things are getting better and improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment