Sunday, August 26, 2012

the day has come

Tonight is a late night for my son, tomorrow is the start of a busy few days. First up is the long night ahead of us keeping my son up to midnight and then shock horror waking him up at 5am tomorrow morning, whose smart idea was that. I know I know I am sure there is a clinical logical reason for this insane request, I just hope they are ready for the insane meltdowns they might witness tomorrow morning. 

On the other hand I think about the times when I wonder what is going on. I thought parenting was going to be a simple experience, feed them keep them clean and love them. Not so simple, thinking about first words. Words they sound so simple and so many parents wish their child would stop talking. As I am raising my second son, I realize the differences the simple amount of language we hear from him and the complexity of it worries us. 

A lot of times it just seems he doesn't have the words, he says something and you have to interpret what he is saying to understand it. He forgets what you say so often, it's crazy. So we did ask the pediatrician why hasn't his speech improved considering he has been in speech therapy since he was a baby and we have been sowing in a LOT of time and effort to help him along the way. The next step that would be tomorrow morning.

First up he is having a EEG done to check for you guessed it epilepsy, this is a scary concept. But this is the type of epilepsy we are looking to rule out, it is called 
"Laundau-Fleffner Syndrome or LKS, is a rare, childhood neurological disorder characterized by the sudden or gradual development of aphasia (the inability to understand or express language) and an abnormal electro-encephalogram (EEG). LKS affects the parts of the brain that control comprehension and speech. The disorder usually occurs in children between the ages of 5 and 7 years. Typically, children with LKS develop normally but then lose their language skills for no apparent reason. While many of the affected individuals have seizures, some do not. The disorder is difficult to diagnose and may be misdiagnosed as autism, pervasive developmental disorder, hearing impairment, learning disability, auditory/verbal processing disorder, attention deficit disorder, mental retardation, childhood schizophrenia, or emotional/behavioral problems."
This is the first step of the process this week, next we are also getting an MRI done the next day, though my son's pediatrician never mentioned why.. these are my theories; to further investigate his recent diagnosis of Benign Joint Hyper-mobility Syndrome and to see if there are any abnormalities with his joints and muscles. Secondly some disorders of the brain can cause language issues that are not so simple, this I haven't allowed myself to think of at all but it does pop into my mind from time to time. This I think I will think on more if the reports come back abnormal in this area. 

So I will report back later on the whole experience.. Secondly for us just to make life interesting my other son is being fitted for hearing aids tomorrow. Part of me is sad that it has come to this, the unknown is quite scary. But the other part of me is happy because my son will receive the gift of hearing what a blessing. I am so blessed to live in a country that funds the hearing aids that he needs. He is getting a special type of hearing aid called a bone conduction hearing aid which is able to switch on and off as his hearing improves or worsens. This is much preferred as my son has teeny tiny ear canals which could prove difficult for fitting them as they could get uncomfortable. 

Tomorrow I will be positive, I will not buy tomorrow's troubles today. Each day has it's own sufficient troubles to deal with. One thing I pray my child won't suffer from is not making decisions because of fear, I hope and pray I can install in them a strength and resolve to be able to face each challenge as it comes before them. Wisdom is always appreciated and I pray for it daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment